Sam & Max CD variant in Lucas Arts Archive vol.1

Discussion in 'Sam & Max: Hit the Road' started by Ahenobarbus, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Ahenobarbus

Ahenobarbus New Member

Does anyone know why (and exactly when) Lucas made different kinds of cd variants for their games in early 90s?

For example Sam & Max Hit the Road has two CD variations: one with Steve Purcell cover art and second "ungarnished silver" one you see in the pictures. Apparently Indy:Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, Rebel Assault etc.. have same kind of silver CD variants too..

My Lucas Arts Archive vol.1 box contains one of those Sam & Max CD variants and I`m puzzled why? Have you ever seen this kind of sealed Archive box with Sam & Max or some other silver CDs inside?

hit the road 1.jpg

IMG_20180224_200537 2.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  2. omar

omar Member

It's relatively common seeing later LucasArts releases contain copies of earlier media.
    Never really paid it any attention before, but I looked over my copies of the LucasArts Archived and they have the later version of the CD.

Should maybe check my docs and see how many similar copies I've documented.

Looks like they changed the layout of the CD sometime during late 1995 and started including it in later copies assembled then (presumably finishing off old stock before using the new one).

My guess would be this was done for the LucasArts Archives (wanted more descriptive covers) and better scratch resistance.

The silver discs were the earlier releases (for most IBM CD release) and the cover art the later ones.
  3. Ahenobarbus

Ahenobarbus New Member

Thanks a lot Omar! I was curious because I have never seen silver discs in sealed Archive box before :)