Rare/signed/sealed/promo items on eBay

Discussion in 'Trading Post' started by omar, May 20, 2014.

1. Tseki

Tseki Guest

I'm exited to see how high it's going to go. I'm not bidding on this so it's all yours :)
  2. omar

omar Member

Yeah... about that... Odds are I'm going to place a bid, but I think it's going to be laughable compared to the final price. :)
  3. Tseki

Tseki Guest

I wish you luck anyway :)
  4. jacuzi

jacuzi Moderator Staff Member

Wow, very rare item! Its only the second sealed copy I have seen (and third one I have heard). It also suffers of the same bad shrinkwrap tearing on the sides as the copy I owned before, maybe the shrinkwrap used on these Bandana boxes is bad quality or not original factory material.

Seems very much like the Italian Monkey Island 1of which I had three sealed copies from 3 different former LucasArts employees and all of them had very bad quality shrinkwrap and had tears on the sides. Same goes to Italian Indy Fate of Atlantis. Italian Maniac Mansion on the other hand had mint condition shrinkwrap of which I had multiple sealed copies aswell.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  5. omar

omar Member

I think there are couple of types of plastic commonly used for the plastic seals on these games.

Their mayor difference is their heat threshold, the older games most had a seal that had a really low threshold, so it didn't take much heat for it to shrink (and tear by the seams) later on. Assume it was used to protect the floppies, viewer and etc. during sealing (weren't expecting them to be stored in them for a few decades :) )

The later ones (When the CD was common) used ones with higher threshold, most likely since they could take more heat without any damage to the media.

Maybe the Bandanna Edition was sealed with the old type of seal for some reason?..

Also, just a random thought.
    Maybe this edition was only released by a retailer in the southern states of the USA (Think I got my copies from there)?
    The air temperature in Arizona for example is quite high and may have affected the plastic seal quite a bit over a long period of time, even the later type of plastic.
  6. jacuzi

jacuzi Moderator Staff Member

Interesting theory, might very well be true
  7. Tseki

Tseki Guest

It's already over $1000... I wonder how high it goes.
  8. omar

omar Member

And it's over... The final price was US $2,575.00.
    A bit higher than I was expecting due to the slight decline in prices lately... but due to its extreme rarity that might be understandable :)
  9. Tseki

Tseki Guest

You didn't win? :)
  10. omar

omar Member

Yeah, about that... not even close... I think I'll stick to my CIB copies for now... :)
  11. Tseki

Tseki Guest

CIB copy / copies are very rare and desirable also :)
  12. omar

omar Member