Fate of Atlantis Standee

Discussion in 'Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis' started by omar, Dec 30, 2014.

1. omar

omar Member

I just came across the following standee on the internet and thought some of the collectors here might be interested in seeing it:
    http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/288/6/2/fate_of_atlantis_standee_by_whipwarrior-d30sh6z.jpg

I also relized in the process that I already had part of it in my collection without knowing it... I.E the top part that's missing on this one:
    http://indy.mamo-net.de/attachments.php?action=attachment&id=645

I always assumed it was was part of a shelf talker since the top folds backwards like many shelf talkers do...

I don't recall seeing this drawing of him holding the statue before... does anybody know it's origin/story?..

2. omar

omar Member

3. Tseki

Tseki Guest

I never seen that standee before but it's very nice!

4. jacuzi

jacuzi Moderator Staff Member

Here is some information of standee.
    I talked with both William Eaken who created the art for the standee and was the lead artist on Indy FoA.
    I also talked with James Dollar who was one of the main artists of the game and whom I got the standee from.

Here is what William Eaken had to say about the standee:

"Hello, Jarkko, yes I did the art. It was just for the standee. They made only about 1,000. The original was too much trouble to bring home, being almost full size, so I left it at Lucasarts way back. No idea where it is now. Kind of wish I held on to it. LOL"

Here is what James Dollar had to say about the standee:

"
    The standee was made for the marketing department to promote the game at places like E3 or the consumer electronics show.
    It was drawn by William Eaken ( he also drew the box cover) who was also the lead artist on Fate of Atlantis.
    He copied the style of Drew Struzan who did all the movie posters for Spielberg and Lucas.
    They only made 10 or so of the standees and gave one to each of the main artists on the project and used the rest at shows."

So they had very different kind of information of the numbers of the standee so I asked William again of that, and here is what he said:

"
    Well, the plan was to make 1000 and have them in game stores, but maybe they didn't follow through. I honestly don't know. Good question. I'll ask around."

I have not heard of William after that, but it was only recently I talked with him so he might get back to me.
    From James I got a good lead of whom to contact next who should have the fact of how many of those standees were actually made.

Anyways, the art has not been used anywhere else than the standee.

5. omar

omar Member

Thanks for sharing this information, shame they didn't make a poster containing these graphics as well. :)

6. Tseki

Tseki Guest

Thanks for the information jacuzi.